[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Poland's "Dutch" Villages

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 4 07:50:46 PDT 2012

This is all great material.  But one statement at the end gives me cause for concern, even though the word is in quote marks implying a special meaning.  Such reference without immediate clarification can be taken out of context and misused.

Quote:  ". . .about 1880 peasants of more than 20 "Dutch" villages of the region of Gostynin . . ."

If I refer to a German village, a Hungarian village, a Romanian village, in Poland or anywhere else, I am referring to the primary ethnic make-up of that village.  If you refer to a village as a Dutch village, the average reader will assume an ethnic connotation, not a legal / political one.  The villages in the Gostynin region may have been Hollendry in a legal sense but no Dutch, Frisian, Mennonite or otherwise, ever lived there (with of course the exception of a half dozen or so villages along the Wisla River between Plock and Warsaw).  The vast majority of Dutch settlements were in Prussian Poland, not Russian Poland.

In a similar vein, cities in Eastern Europe that operated under German City Law are never referred to as German cities.  The correlation should be the same for the villages operating under Dutch or Hollendry Law.

The website that was initially referenced to start this discussion makes reference to Dutch people, Dutch graves, Dutch schools, etc. and such misrepresentation is totally inaccurate when used for the Russian Poland villages.

Jerry