[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] indexed records of Evangelical Tomaszów Mazowiecki

Albert Muth albertmuth734 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 17:51:08 PDT 2012

In the past, I have mentioned other websites that hold indexed.records of
interest to all of us. One of them, http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/,  a
project of the Polish Genealogical Society (Polskie Towarzystwo
Genealogiczne), keeps sneaking in new stuff so often, that it is hard to
keep up with everything.

What I am talking about today may be of particular interest to VOLHYNIANS,
since one rarely knows their prior residence. Sometimes, you luck out
because you can find the family in other databases that are being
assembled. But for the gubernias to the South and Southeast of Łódź, namely
Piotrków, Kielce and Radom, records have either not been catalogued or have
not been filmed. The best map that I know showing gubernias is the 1907
“Podział Królestwa Polskiego na gubernie i powiaty” found in the Polish
wikipedia at http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gubernia.  It is the right side,
the last map at the bottom. Download it, it is a JPG file that should be in
your research materials. Be sure you keep track of the reference (Thou
shalt not plagiarize!).

One of the new indexed collections is for marriages 1853-1864 and deaths
1833-1853 for the parish of Tomaszów Mazowiecki. Of special interest are
the marriage records, for this is the time period preceding the mass
migrations to the Lublin region and Volhynia. There are over 900 marriages!

It is not clear to me if these are marriage records, banns or alegata.
Pradziad, the index to church records and civil registation records found
in the Polish State Records, informs us that there are alegata, inne and
zapowiedzi. I do not see the word for marriages (małżeństwa). Still, in
what is indexed, you can see the name of the groom and bride. Take it from
there.

The Pradziad website is: http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php?l=en

I checked the holdings of The State Archive in Lodz (webpage is at
http://www.lodz.ap.gov.pl/e_index.html);  from here, it took me to SEZAM,
which researchers with longer experience may recall as the one we used
before PRADZIAD. It is surprisingly more informative. To make a long story
short (I am skipping some steps), I found the inventory of what the Archive
has for Evangelical Tomaszów Mazowiecki at
http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/sezam.php?l=en&mode=show&zespoly_id=39510

Copy that entire URL and paste in the left side box at
http://translate.google.com/ . Directly above the box, set the languages
(from Polish to ______). I chose English. Then, on the right side, click on
the URL that you see there. Now you can read and get some understanding out
of the holdings.

At Geneteka, there are also records for a filial parish of Radomsko that I
did not know about at Zapolice.

To find these records:

Go to the geneteka website at http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/.
Click on Łódzkie province on the map (in the center).
In the drop-down box labelled

KSIĘGA 'book', selected Tomaszów Mazowiecki p. ewang. augsburs.  M stands
for marriage.  Z stands for deaths.

At the bottom right, find the drop-down box labeled POZYCJI NA STRONIE
'items per page'.  Change the number to 50--this allows you to see all the
records.

Do not type a surname in the box labelled NAZWISKO.  You never know how you
will find your name written.  It is better to see their raw indexing.
Good Luck!  And, please, if you discover a marriage of your ancestors at
Tomaszów, tell us!

Al Muth
Michigan