[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Eufrozyny, wife of Krystyan Jozef of Kepa Kikolska, Poland

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Fri Jun 22 03:08:35 PDT 2012

Am 21.06.2012 22:23, schrieb Brandt Gibson:
> I recently found the birth and marriage records of my 3rd-great-grandfather Ludwig Heinrich Joseph in Kepa Kikolska, Poland. In both of them, his father's name is listed as Krystyan Jozef, and his mother's as Eufrozyny of Frederów. This family was German but living in Poland. would these be their original names, or their German names written in Polish? Also, I did an Internet search on the name Eufrozyny, and it looks like the name was originally Greek, but was adopted by Hungarians as well. Could this mean Eufrozyny was Hungarian? If not, is there any significance to her having this name? I'm still very new to researching my family history in this area so please excuse my obvious ignorance if this is an easy answer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brandt Gibson
> fife, WA

Hello Brandt,
the spelling Eufrozyny (from Eufrozyna) is Polish genitive. Originally the Greek name Εὐφροσύνη (= mirth, cheerfulness)
ment one of the three Charites (Graces) of the ancient Greek mythology. Since J.W. Goethe's elegia "Euphrosyne" (1797)
it became fashionable in the freethinking educated middle-class. But Euphrosyne was also a rarely used Egypt saint's
name and the name of several Polish noblewomen.

The actually unusual spelling Krystyan (for Polish Chrystian or Krystian) and the combination "Krystyan Józef" points to
the late 18th century when Karl Christian Joseph, son of August III., was prince of Saxony and Poland (died 1796, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_of_Saxony,_Duke_of_Courland ).

Günther