[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Given Name Jacenty

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 17:00:51 PDT 2012

Eveline,

Jacenty is more common in Polish records I've seen than Jacek. The name
comes from the Greek or Latin name Hyacinthus or Hyacinth. It is not
used much any more. Jack is as close as we might get in English.

"In Their Words", vol. 2, Russian, by Jonathan D. Shea and William F.
Hoffman, has an excellent name list in the back which gives versions of
names in Russian, Polish, Lithuanian, German, English and Latin. It is
very useful for examining records in these languages since the people
writing the documents sometimes translate given names into their own
language.

Sigrid Pohl Perry