[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] (Ger-Poland-Volynia) Surname: Neumann, Nehring, Hein

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 06:20:45 PST 2012

Betty,

Are you certain that the Emilie and Pauline Neumann you describe are
sisters and both daughters of your Gottfried Neumann? Pauline was born
in Sitschinek. Emilie died in Marinkow. Both villages are in Rozyszcze
parish. The film may not show the mother's surname. In fact, the indexer
for the Sitschinek records often notes that a mother's surname was not
given.

If you search the St. Petersburg database births, setting up a search
for Neumann, father Gottfried, mother's given name Wilhelmine, you get
what is most likely only two families with spelling variations due to
legibility or the writer's phonetic idiosyncracies: one Gottfried
Neumann married to Wilhelmine Leno(ch), the other to Wilhelmine
Saft/Zaft. If you think that Juliane Neumann, also born in Marinkow, is
a sister to Emilie who died there, then Wilhelmine Saft/Zaft is the
mother's name you want, especially if the other children born to this
couple are also familiar names. This doesn't mean there isn't a third
Gottfried Neumann married to a third Wilhelmine, but I think it unlikely.

If you search by village in these records, perhaps you'll see some other
families you know are related to yours. Or if you do look at the films,
you can see if any godparents or witnesses are listed from the villages;
they are also most likely relatives. All of these details will help you
create an extended family.

Regards,
Sigrid Pohl Perry