[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Solomka (Friedrichsdorf), Anieluwka, Tomaschew

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed May 2 09:54:08 PDT 2012

Today we drove over 20 km in our rental car on VERY rough cobblestone roads at 15 km per hour to get to Solomka.  It is a long street village and it is difficult to understand how people survive in this somewhat remote location through the winter.  The farm land here (unlike other parts of Ukraine we have driven through) seems very productive and well looked after.

A local resident described the German Lutheran cemetery here as being on the west side of the town and south of the road.  We did not go there as access was difficult and there are no grave markers to see.

Yesterday we travelled to Tomaschew and Anieluwka.  Tomaschew is now included as part of Postojno.  Getting to Anieluwka also required travel on cobblestone road but it was not nearly as far as Solomka.  There was a road from Derashno to Anieluwka but it is no longer usable.  You have to travel east first and then circle around from Postojno to get there.

We are having a great time but unfortunately leave tomorrow for Germany and then Poland.

Jerry Frank