[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] The villages of Lolemka and Szurnisk

Jerry Frank franklyspeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 1 06:18:17 PDT 2013

Peter,

I have not been able to find either of these locations or anything close to them in any resources I have.

It might be helpful to know if the spellings are from original documents or from family lore.  If from originals, it would be of great help to obtain copies.

For example, in some 19th century handwritten documents, I have found it difficult to distinguish an upper case S from an upper case L.  So in this case, I can envision Lolemka actually being Solemka (aka Solomka) which is in Volhynia and in the region under Polish rule in the interwar period.  However, that is a rather wild guess based only on the info you provided.

Jerry