[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kelm and Ziebart from Zhitomir

Kris Kelm mephs2ph at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 10:08:08 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Haven't tried for help in a while, and I'm still fairly stuck.

My ggparents lived in Manitoba, having come to Canada in 1913 to take up a
homestead as part of the Western Land Grant program.

Ludwig Kelm was born in Zhitomir in 1883 or 1885. His tombstone reads 1885:
but other documents I have show 1883. He served in the Russian military as
a soldier from 1904-1907. Apparently, his parents were also from Zhitomir.
There are indications he may have had a brother who also lived in Manitoba.

His wife was Emilia Ziebart. She was born in Volhynia in 1892. According to
documents, her parents were born in Poland, but no specific place is named.
She also had a brother named George.

They would have been married before coming to Canada, so I am assuming in
Zhitomir.

I'm looking for help finding any documents related to their marriage or any
of their siblings/parents. So far, I've gotten stuck at this point. I have
the 1940 census into from Canada, copies of homestead documents and records
or their landing in Canada, but haven't been able to get anything from
before they came here.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Kris