[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Skoszewy, Stare Skoszewy, Nowe Skoszewy

Paul Rakow paul.edward.luther.rakow at desy.de
Fri Apr 5 09:56:13 PDT 2013

    Hello Mauricio,

         I don't think these records are online (yet) but they
  may be in the LDS films. (But I'm not sure - the catalogues
  are rather muddled and confusing to me - maybe someone who
  knows more about the villages in question can give a better
  answer).

         It looks to me as if the LDS aren't quite sure whether
  they have records from Nowe Skoszewy or Stare Skoszewy.

       In the Pradziad catalogue it says that the old records
  are from Nowe Skoszewy (back to 1610) - in the LDS catalogue
  they have Stare Skoszewy records back to 1610. I don't think
  that two rival Catholic churches both started their books in
  1610 in neighbouring villages - it's just a confusion in the
  catalogue.

       The LDS have two Skoszewy films with marriages for 1827,
  film 743016 and 2084971, items 2-6.

       I would order both - my guess is that one of them will be
  Napoleonic Code long marriage record in Polish, from the State
  archive in Lodz, and one will be the church record in Latin,
  from the church archive in Lodz.

       What's really got me confused is the records Pradziad
  shows in the Tomaszow Mazowiecki branch of the state archive;
  records from Skoszewy, without any old or new. Where do they
  fit in??

       I'm in Lodz now - they are working hard at digitising
  - there are notices up that certain records can't be ordered
  because they are being scanned. There are also lots of records
  from the Catholic church archive (Archiwum Archidiecezjalne w
  Lodzi) which have been scanned and can be seen on the computers
  in the state archive's reading room, but which I don't see
  on the internet - I hope they will go onto the net sometime
  soon.

          Paul Rakow

----