[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Village help

George Shoning shoning at q.com
Wed May 1 08:38:01 PDT 2013

Eveline,

As Jerry observed the name looks distorted.  The "i" in the name and particularly in the "iy" ending suggests that the name is either Ukrainian or Russian before 1918.  The Russian alphabet dropped the "i" in its 1918 spelling reforms.  The "ya" after the "P" suggests the Russian or Ukrainian letter "Я".

Consider the following Russian words that may be part of the name:
     - пять   pronounced "pyat" in Russian and meaning the numeral five
     - день   pronounced "dyen" in Russian and meaning "day"
     - лес    pronounced "less" in Russian and meaning "woods", "forest", "timber"

So one might think of the name "Pyatidenskiy Les" as "Five Days into the Forest" or some such phrase. Or the fifth day, commonly Friday in Russia, in the forest, that is, "Friday in the Forest".

I hope you enjoy this; good luck.

George Shoning