[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kaschube; Was Re: Schmidt family from Sompolno region

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Thu Oct 31 07:01:49 PDT 2013

Jerry and Martin,

My first exposure to this name was exactly as Jerry describes: a
derogatory term used by an elderly cousin-by-marriage. He was often
given to other ethnic slurs, so I filed it under that category. As a
Lublin Project indexer, I found a cluster of Kaschub/e families among
the villages in which my ancestors lived; many of them were from the
northern region of Poland known as Prussia. There are even Kaschub/e
surnames in my maternal extended family line (though none in the
cousin's line so far).

For those of you interested in migration or in this surname, check the
public Lublin Project database:
https://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/lublin_records/lublinsearchinstruct.html
You will find: 25 births to Kaschub/e surnames; 67 births to couples
where the wife was a Kaschub/e; and 8 grooms and 9 brides.

Sigrid Pohl Perry
whose Mantei and Kitzmann extended families married Kaschubes