[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] DNA Testing?

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 14:43:09 PDT 2013

To all,

DNA testing does not test your ancestors.   What it does is match your
DNA to anyone else who has submitted their DNA to the same databank.
By matching up DNA strands, they can determine if others in the same
databank have a high probability of being your relative (i.e., similar
DNA strands).   The DNA only gets to two people working together to
determine how they are actually related.

I am no expert, but there are at least three different types of tests:

The Y-DNA test to search for the ancestry of your father's father's
father's father (and so on).   So far as I know at present, it does not
match you to anyone other than a descendant of that direct line of
fathers, and is apparently only of use to determine which part of the
world your pre-modern-era father's father came from.

Next is the mtDNA, and this only tracks the ancestry of your mother's
mother's mother's mother (etc).   It is likewise only good to determine
which part of the world your pre-modern era mother's mother came from.

Finally, there is the Autosomal DNA.   This DNA test is used to
determine who your relatives are, both male and female, for the last
five to six generations.    This is the test that I had done, and the
company called My Family Tree DNA (https://my.familytreedna.com) found
matches for me to look at.   I was a bit leary as to how this all
worked, so in addition to my DNA, all that I gave them was my direct
line surnames, and the countries where they resided.   I got back a lot
of results that look primising, but so far have only been able to
determine a relationship for one of those results.   The link that I
found was not a direct line ancestor surname, but rather the great
grandson of my grandfather's sister.   The predicted relationship was a
4th cousin, but he is actually my 2nd cousin, twice removed.   I guess
if you figure that both relationships are 4 times removed from me, then
the predicton was correct.   The other relationships have not yet been
proven, but that is likely only because the people I am matched to do
not know enough of their (and my) genealogy to figure it out yet.

Gary Warner
Gig Harbor, WA

On 9/11/2013 12:25 PM, Gerald Klatt wrote:
> Same question from me. I eagerly wait the reply.
>
> Gerald
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Buss" <dbuss at rogers.com>

>>> mutation.  I refer to it as Mother Nature's latest software code