[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] difference betw Dutch and German language?

Charlotte Dubay hoeserhistory at aol.com
Fri Sep 13 12:49:14 PDT 2013

Thank you, Otto.
A note to the list:
Yes, I microfiched Posen (Sokolitz) records, and indeed, the surname Block was spelled Block, Bloch, Blech, throughout time. (DOBs and given names confirmed they were same family).

Also, I had read some history of the high German being from the high lands -
NOTHING to do with superiority of language -
but the Germans of the Dakotas forgot to read that paragraph! hah.

You clarified (Low Saxton/lowland/platt deutch) definition for me.
I hadn't thought of it being a "dialect" of German!
That certainly would explain it - beings it doesn't look like she ever even visited Holland! hah.

Had to google "Frisian" - a German ethnic group from Netherland area, in case someone else doesn't know.
Thank you again, Otto
And thank you, Frank, for confirming that I had the right Heimthal!

Charlotte DuBay
hoeserhistory at aol.com