[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] dialects

MacDerk at aol.com MacDerk at aol.com
Tue Sep 17 10:31:55 PDT 2013

One note on Borscht... it is practical since you have it in a big
travelling pot that you can build a fire under with wood or propane or what have
you.  I would bet my life that it was the meal of sailors, armies on
foot...or gypsies searching for the elephants stolen from India by Alexander...  if
there is one useful thing to know how to assemble it is borscht and the
implements and ingredients follow ... the invention... "....Necessity truly is
the mother of invention..."  and borscht the lasting proof that armies and
sailors etc... march and sail on their stomachs...  I had the pleasure of
working at sea with a crew mate from Poland ... en route to Odessa during
the  grain grants... his room was stuffed full of beets for the voyage...
_The Early History, The Gypsies_
(http://www.scottishgypsies.co.uk/early.html)  and sailors...  transporting or looking for... borscht...

No one knows  when the first gypsies left India or, indeed,  why. They seem
to have arrived in the Middle East about 1000 AD, some going on  into North
Africa ...
More results for _original gypsies from India looking for  elephants_
(https://www.google.com/search?biw=1253&bih=656&q=original+gypsies+from+india&sa=X
&ei=PJE4Us2lIYmS9QTt5IHwBw&ved=0CGEQjxgwBQ)

In a message dated 9/13/2013 12:26:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,