[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] dialects

DANWWAGNER at aol.com DANWWAGNER at aol.com
Fri Sep 13 15:39:33 PDT 2013

Thanks for the replies to my posting.  I'm hoping the  "ish" in my family's
dialect can point me toward a geographical region where  they MAY have
originated, or lived before emigrating to the USA.  The  latest reply says "ish
reveals influence from southern and central High  German dialects."  Does
that suggest a particular area of Prussia,  Poland, or Germany?  Also, how
durable do you think this dialect is.   In other words, would it stick with a
family for generations, or would they  conform to the German spoken by
friends and neighbors?  I suspect that  my family--all Lutherans--lived near
Elsenau, east of Berlin and southwest of  Gdansk, before families began
emigrating to Volhynia around 1785.   They lived 3 or 4 generations in or near
Retowka, Roschischtsche, or  Vincentinowka, before moving back to the
Elsenau/Loosen area around  1895-1910.  Many or all of them were fluent in both German
and  Polish.  Thereafter, my grandfather and my father lived in north
Chicago.  Thanks for the help!  Dan Wagner

In a message dated 9/13/2013 12:26:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,