[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Where is Kzize Nove, Plock, Poland?

Elizabeth Heil eheil at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 22 10:29:04 PDT 2013

In researching a peripheral ancestor, I found a reference on a typed Declaration of Intention that Helen (Dreger) Lau living in Cleveland, OH and born in 1891, was a "German" from "Kzize Nove, Plock, Poland". I'm familiar with the words Nowe, the Plock parish, and of "Russia Poland" (with ancestors who say they are from either place!) but I can't find Kzize. I'm sure it was probably phonetically written as the Nove probably was. Any suggestions? I've seen some possible similar names. She was also listed on a passenger list in 1902 (at age 9) as being from Plock, Russia but on the same trip but on the initial leg from Hamburg, the whole family was listed as being from Saratov, Russia (a German colony on the Volga?)  On the 1910 census, she was listed (as well as all of the family) as being "Aust/German". Wondering if the family/ancestors emigrated from Austria/Germany to Russia, gave it up, and then made their way across the continent to emigrate eventually to the US. Thanks!