[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] stuck on name "Galenyewski"

Gerald Klatt gerald.klatt at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 18 11:02:18 PDT 2014

Hello Laurelei et al

Well, the obvious alternate spellings are Galeniewski and Goleniewski, which google re-directs to.

But, I've also been exploring Polish spelling Gołębiewski; ę = em, so pronounced as Golembieski.

Which then also has me considering the Golembioski family we find living in Beausejour in "They Stopped at a Good Place". Neither an Ellen or Helen are mentioned in that family's history, but there could still be a connection.

Ellen Galenyewski married Edward Schnidel in 1 Jan 1907 in Winnipeg (source: Manitoba Marriage Index). Assuming Galenyewski (with all variant spellings) was her maiden name, and not a previous marriage, we need to find her family in 1906 or earlier census or ship passenger lists.

Most of the extracted ships passenger list we have access to are for Germans immigrating to Canada. From "They Stopped at a Good Place" the similar sounding Galenyewski family name appears to be Polish (and possibly, Roman Catholic).

Thus far I have searched: Galenyewski, Galeniewski, Goleniewski, Golembieski, Golebieski, Golembioski and Golebioski. All to no avail.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Regards,

Gerald