[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] names in 1827 marriage Polish Napoleonic record

Gerald Klatt gerald.klatt at shaw.ca
Wed May 21 21:23:33 PDT 2014

Hi Mauricio

I know what Linda is saying about the genetive 'a' ending on male and female given names, but I doubt that is the case here. I say this because the use 'a' ending on several obvious male names in this particular marriage entry. The following names all appear in the marriage entry and it's unlikely they are female - the latter two appear with that spelling ahead of their repective spouses.

Jana (=Johann)
Josefa (=Josef)
Macieja(=Matthias)

Also, rare for a midwife to appear on a marriage entry, more common on birth entry when child is illegimate and father is not available to present the child to the pastor. On a marriage entry they usually only name the mother if the groom or bride was an illegimate birth, or father 'unknown'.

'Skoszewskiej'
The scribe of this marriage entry typically closes the 'g' at the top. In this case I believe it is correct as 'Skoszewskiej', because the letter is open on top, not closed. Also, Skoszewskiej exists on search engines, Skoszewskieg does not. I realise there's no dot over the 'j' like in our modern alphabet, but I find that when it looks like our modern j, it's typically the letter 'y' or 'i', with a long tail. An example of this in this particular marriage entry is the word 'Koloni'(=colony), it appears as Kolonj, but I believe that 'j-like' letter it their 'i' or 'y' and we have either koloni or kolony.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Gerald