[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] The Meaning of "Of"

Earl Schultz Earl.Schultz at telusplanet.net
Thu Oct 23 10:02:04 PDT 2014

Al Muth extracted thousands of records for SGGEE and I have found that he sometimes put "Of" in front of the village name in the field for the village.  His data from Lipno has villages such as "Of Dab Wielki" and "Of Janowo".  Since this shows as the village name, the "Of" cannot be a preposition meaning "living in" or "from".  Unfortunately this data from the SGGEE database did not have coordinates or any other information so I'm unsure of what this means.  Does anyone know if Janowo is a different village from "Of Janowo", for example.  I don't want to merge the villages without knowing exactly what is meant by this.

Thanks,
Earl