[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Locations in PLOCK - Naming Hierarchy Conventions in the 19th & 20th Century

Uwe Kerntopf family at kerntopf.com
Mon Jan 26 15:53:23 PST 2015

Hello Peter,

Am 26.01.2015 um 20:45 schrieb Peter:
> I'm very eager for my database to accurately reflect the locations I
> have in their full hierarchy based on specific dates. In part because
> my software allows for that, but more importantly because I just think
> it's important to be accurate.

it is important in our family research always to be accurate, and the
polish history is not so easy as it is for other regions.

Beside that, the correct writing of the village names, and whether you
software supports that, is also essential.

That begings with simple village names like, as you mention, Plock.
This is Płock, which is totally different pronounced as Germans would do.
It's a bit like Plotzk. The ł is pronounced like the w in Whisky, and
the c like tz in german.

It gets worth when polish villages belonged to Russia some times ... and
you have to care with cyrillic letters and russian names ...

But to answer your question, there have been 3 partitions of Poland.
1773, 1793 and 1795. The so named 4th partition happened at the Vienna
Congress 1814/15, where the map of Europe was new sorted after Napoleon.

There will be good literature in english too on the market, I hope. I
encourage you reading this, history will get so interesting. And it may
give you a feeling, how our ancestors have lived under which
circumstances in this particular part of Europe.

My grandfather, Julius KERNTOPF, was born August 24th 1901 in the very
small village Łępiczyzna, near Skępe, county Lipno. At that time
Congress Poland, belonging to Russia. They lived there for several
generations as german settlers.

I never met him because he died 1947 in a POW camp in Estonia. But he
spoke german, because they spoke it at home, he spoke polish, because
that was the language under friends, and he spoke russian, because that
was teached in schools at that time. When the polish/russian war started
he fled to the near West-Prussia. If not, I wouldn't be here!

If you are german (assuming), you may checkout my booklist at
http://www.dobriner-land.de -> Literatur

Bye
Uwe