[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Legacy webinar on Enemy Aliens in US

Walter Gust walcar at mwt.net
Tue May 26 06:07:10 PDT 2015

I'll just add this. William Rehnquist wrote an article for American Heritage
once. He was focusing on the internment of the Japanese during WWII. He
referred back to the administration of our second president John Adams. It
is certainly a black mark on his presidency to have had the Alien and
Sedition acts passed during his term. Rehnquist pointed out that while the
Sedition  part of that was repealed, the Alien part is still on the books.

So the nisei (second generation Japanese) had their rights violated, and the
issei(first generation Japanese) did not. Lots of rights were violated
everywhere I guess.

My mother as a young lady during WWI remembered her pastor in the German
Reformed Churchn near the hamlet of Stratford, Wisconsin, criticizing the
English blockage of the North Sea depriving German women and children of
food, thus violating the rules of war. Luckily this never got reported to
authorities.

Walter Gust