[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Old German Reading and Translation

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Mon Jan 30 07:08:26 PST 2017

>From my research, I believe the horizontal line over a single  n or m to
indicate a double n or m was for the purpose of economy and  efficiency.
Paper and ink and space were very expensive in those  early days, so saving
even one wee letter-space was very often used.  And  usually dropped to a
single n or m upon relocation in another country.   Germans liked efficiency and
saving money.  Still do, I think.

Maureen

In a message dated 1/29/2017 11:22:06 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,