[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Graveyards in Poland? Monumental inscriptions?

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Sat Sep 16 13:03:40 PDT 2017

Hi John,

I'm glad you are finding so much useful information on your wife's
family in Scotland. I haven't seen another reply to your question here
regarding Evangelical cemeteries in the Ciechanow area. I assume you
mean the larger village north of Warsaw. I can't answer this
specifically though anything I've seen from various regions around
Poland can be summarized.

The few Evangelical German cemeteries I personally saw around the Lublin
area were in poor repair in 2003. I know that has changed because local
people were able to make use of some available EU funding to clean them
up: cut down the saplings, weeds, underbrush; set up any remaining
headstones, etc. However, most of the markers were likely made of wood
and they had been used as fuel in WWII or just rotted. I did see some
stone markers, some covered in moss and illegible, but others could be
deciphered. I know that in other areas of Poland there are similar
projects to restore the German Evangelical cemeteries as well as the
Jewish ones. The WWI cemeteries in which soldiers from all armies were
buried are generally well cared for.

I can write my German contacts in Mittelpolen as well as one Polish
contact I now have in that area and see if they know anything about
cemeteries in Ciechanow. Where is Lacha? And do you have some
approximate dates for these burials?

Best wishes on the rest of your trip!
Sigrid