[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] RE: Various place names in Russia

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 7 17:39:47 PST 2001

At 02:51 PM 07/12/2001 -0800, KEN SCHULTZ wrote:
>I received an email that has some names that may be connected to my
>family.  The email listed various places in Russia and I am wondering
>where they are located.
>
>POMERANIA, Russia               Julius Schultz  1875
>OLEFSK, Russia                  Emily Nickel    1874
>VELIN, Russia                                   1899

Pomerania would be in Prussia, not Russia.  My guess is that someone is
confused about this.

Olewsk is a large town located about 70 km N of Nowgrad Wolhynsk.  It is
possible these people lived in one of the 5 villages just to the north of
there.

Velin might be a corrupted form of Volhynia.  There is a Velin in Galicia
(not part of Russia), also a Wielun north of Sarny in Volhynia.

Of these, only Olewsk would have been in Zhitomir province / parish though
not particularly close to the city.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca