[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Penno/Pinno/ Nörenberg

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 28 16:22:40 PST 2001

At 02:05 PM 27/12/2001 -0700, Southwest Dryland wrote:

>Whilst in Germany earlier this year I uncovered some documents about my
>grandfather Napoleon Penno from Kurhany Kr. Luck in Poland. I think that
>he did live near a town called Lublin. My dad, Tscheslaw Norenberg was
>born near Trotnowo Poland or Udssr.

In your posting on the Volhyn Rootsweb bulletin board, you added that
Trotnowo was near Novogruduk.   This does not help directly but is it
possible that Novogruduk = Nowograd?  If so, the village would be in
Volhynia, not Poland, and some distance east of the Luck region.  I can not
find any equivalent to Trotnowo anywhere in the Ukraine but that just means
it is not on any lists available to me.  It still might be there.

Several other options for Novogruduk exist such as NOVO-GORODOK or
NOVGORODKA.  You can check into those further at

Do these place names come from written records or are they spelled based on
pronunciation in family lore?  If written, and especially if written in
Russian Cyrillic, you may want to get a second opinion on the
transliteration.  Might also help if any family stories offer other clues
such as if the place was in the Black Sea area or ?????

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca