[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Microfilms and FHC; Was Re: Ger-Poland-Volhynia digest

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 24 04:57:52 PST 2002

I don't know what they are called in Germany where Guenther lives but I am
sure he is referring to what is known as FHC in Canada - the Family History
Centres of the Latter Day Saints Church.  These are genealogical libraries
located in major cities and towns throughout the world where you can go to
order and view the microfilms which the LDS have filmed in major archives.

The main one in Calgary (I think there are 2) is in the building of the
17th Ave. LDS Stake near the Childrens' Hospital.  Phone ahead for hours of
operation.  It is closed right now for a few weeks due to Christmas
holidays.  Volunteers at the Centres will help you to become familiar with
available materials and procedures for using them.

The normal procedure is to find a microfilm of interest based on the
indexes held at each Centre.  You then order this in at nominal cost from
their main library in Salt Lake City.  When it arrives, they phone to let
you know it is in and you can go there to view the film on their special
readers.  Each local FHC will, depending on size, hold certain popular
microfilms in the local library on what is called permanent loan.  For
example, in Calgary, you can view most Canadian passenger ship records
without cost and without having to order in the films.  The same is true
for the St. Petersburg Consistory records of the Lutheran Church which
covers all of eastern Russia including Volhynia for the years
1835-1885.  All 130+ reels of that series are held here on permanent
loan.  Each FHC will also have certain books, maps, and other resources
available.

This is a brief introduction.  You will learn more as you make progress in
this hobby.