[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Civil transcripts of Protestant Parish registers Przedecz, Poland

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Wed Jul 10 08:14:00 PDT 2002

Gail,

Both the Polish and Russian language records of births in Poland are
according to the Napoleonic format.  So the answer to your question is yes,
they are all essentially the same for every record.  The differences are
the obvious names, dates and places.  In addition, there is the occasional
birth out of wedlock, or a still born that makes that adds a few words here
and there to the record.  Finally, since we are all human, and the record
is a  verbose entry of the facts, some of the people entering the data
occasionally rearranged the sentence a little without changing the meaning.

I assume that when you said that you looked at the SGGEE site, that you
mean that you looked at the Russian entries and the sample Russian alphabet
on the web page at http://sggee.org/TranslationHelps.html?

Russian is not a language that I know a great deal about, but here are some
ideas on how to at least collect the records that are of interest to you,
even if you later have to get someone to do a full translation for you.

1.  Make sure you are looking at the correct type of record (a birth record
if you are looking for a birth, a death record if you are looking for a
death, or a marriage record if you are looking for a marriage).  That may
sound silly, but since you cannot read the record, then you will not know
which record format is being used for comparison to the sample records
noted above.

2.  Although the indices are likely all in Russian for the years you are
looking at, the actual record will likely have the name entered in both
Russian and German, so you will get a good hint at who the record is for if
you look through the actual records instead of just the index.

3.  Russian appears to have been a new language to write for the pastors
who were making the entries in the 1880s, so the penmanship is often much
better than the earlier Polish records.  Take some time to compare the
letters of the words to the sample Russian cursive alphabet also shown on
the above noted web page.  You will be surprised what you can decipher if
you look at it for awhile, but it will take you some time to make
progress.  Try translating the names of the people from Russian to German
to start with, and then progress to words that represent a part of every
record, like the Russian word for son or daughter that will be in every
birth record, every marriage record, and many death records.

4.  Get yourself a Russian dictionary and look up the English word that
seems to belong in a certain place on the record.

5.  Call the Salt Lake City Family History Library and tell them that you
desperately need a Russian genealogical word list.  They may already have
one, but I see that it is not yet on their web site for downloading.  If
anyone else on this list know of a place where a word list can be
downloaded, please let all of us know.

Gary Warner
Gig Harbor, WA