[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Heard of Zevirin Volhynia?

Richard Benert benovich at montanadsl.net
Sat Nov 2 19:28:54 PST 2002

Doris,

This may or may not be helpful to you, but here goes anyway.  On a list of
German colonies in Russia which I have there occurs a Sewerinowka in the
Parish of Radomysl.  Radomysl itself is about 50 km northeast of Zhitomir.
Sewerinowka (which may or may not be your "Zeverin", but I suspect it is) is
not on the Stumpp map, but obviously would not be too far from Radomysl.
Your other town, "Horoschel", may possibly be a town about 60 km west (and
slightly north) of Radomysl, identified on the Stumpp map (and others) as
Wolodarsk.  Polish maps call it Horoszki.  Germans in the area that I have
talked to referred to it as something like "Roschek" or "Horoschek".  This
requires replacing the "l" at the end of the name by a "k", which would not
be out of the question, given how handwritten "k"s can sometimes have very
tiny loops at the bottom, making them look like "l"s.

Please take this as a hypothesis, not as gospel truth.  You may be able to
find your Z(s)everin on the Jewishgen.org Stetle-finder.

Dick