[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Libau, Russia,etc.

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Wed Nov 27 11:50:05 PST 2002

Rose Ingram schrieb:

>This is an interesting situation.  I did a search on the Ellis Island site
>using the http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/eidb/ one step search, new
>format.   I requested a search using the name Neuman and 1911 ship Birma.
>Could this be your John Martin Neuman?
>

>Name:  Teisach Neuman,
>Ethnicity: Russia, Hebrew,
>Place of Residence: Russia, Goldingen
>Date of Arrival September 12, 1911
>Age on Arrival: 65y
>Married
>Ship of travel: Birma
>Port of Departure:  Libau, Posen, Prussia, Germany.

Hello Rose & Dorothy,
it doesn't look so. Firstly the christian names John Martin sound very
evangelic (think of Martin Luther) and secondly the localization Libau,
Posen, Prussia, Germany is barely impossible. The Posen province had
neither a harbor nor a sea coast at all. Libau [Liepaja] is a Latvian
Baltic port which indeed belonged to Russia before 1918 as well as from
1940 to 1941 and from 1945 to 1991 but never to Germany (though it was
part of the Sword Brethren's and Teutonic Knights' state from 1201
(1236) to 1561).

Guenther
from Hilden, Germany