[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynian vanished villages ?!?

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 24 07:03:48 PST 2003

The online Berkeley maps are at 1:100,000 scale which means they are more
detailed than what you purchased.  I suppose, however, that they both
contain much of the same information.

I think there are several reasons why villages disappear from maps,
especially the German ones in Volhynia.

1.  Some are simply too small to be shown on many maps.  There are many
forms of topographical maps that are used for many purposes.  The map maker
can decide what to show and what not to show.  I have for example seen less
detailed 1:300,000 scale maps which show villages that do not appear on the
more detailed ones.

2.  Collectivization in Soviet areas eliminated many villages.

3.  Though local people often took over farms of the Germans when they were
forced from the homes in WW I, others remained abandoned, including whole
villages.

4.  Some of the villages were so small with perhaps only 6 families, that
the government considered them farms and removed village status.

5.  Land was confiscated for military use and the villages destroyed.

6.  Mapping of former Soviet areas is still a new process as far as
accuracy is concerned.  Many maps of the Soviet era contained intentional
errors in order to "fool the enemy".   Modern maps are often based on these
older ones and contain the same errors.

7.  Sometimes villages were joined together to form one large unit.  One of
the 2 names therefore disappeared.

I'm sure there are other reasons but these give you some idea of what could
happen.