[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: [Can someone say to me, what happened here?

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 16 08:28:27 PST 2003

I think you misunderstood what was written.

The Lutheran faith teaches infant or adult baptism.  The Baptist faith
teaches adult baptism only.

All the St. Pete records are Lutheran (Augsburgischer).  The birth dates
shown are actually part of the baptism records that the local Kantor kept
in his church books.  This information was then given to the Pastor who
copied it and sent that copy to the Bishop's office in St. Petersburg.

The first record simply states that the infant, Juliane Dase was baptized
by Pastor Peter Stelz.  The fact that he was a Lutheran pastor is not
stated but is implied because these are Lutheran records.

The second record more specifically identifies Peter Stelz as a Lutheran
pastor.

So the pastor did not change his confession.  The information is simply
written in two different ways.  It may be easier for you to understand if
you can get a copy of the original records which are written in German.

At 04:41 PM 16/01/2003 +0100, Jens Kobusz wrote:
>In St. Pete database we found this:
>Dase, Juliane                            26 Jun  1862 Namenlofen
>Wilhelm                  Beutler, Caroline               1884096/1  430    9
>Baptized 30 Jul 1862 by Pastor Peter Stelz
>Kelm, Emilie, Hentriette                 14 May  1863 Amalika
>Adam                     Hartfilel, Anna  Caroline       1884098/1   11   75
>Luth. Pastor Peter Stelz, godparents, Johann Dase, Caroline Zaft, Emil
>Hartfiel, Wilhelmine Dase
>
>At one time "Pastor Peter Selz" is a lutherian at the other time he
>baptized. Could it be that there was only one "Pastor" in this area? What is
>the differenz between this two confessions?
>
>Many thanks and greetings
>
>Jens

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca