[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Dutch settlement of Volhynia

Lorne Bohn lbohn at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 24 10:03:07 PDT 2003

I have been following the thread posted on the list the last little while regarding migration and although I don't usually post to the group, I thought I would share some research I have done which I have found helpful on this subject.

When researching the East Prussian/Massuria/Volhynian area I am becoming increasingly aware of how small the distances are between many of these places by North American standards.  I am also getting a much better understanding of my family research by studing the history of the area.  This is a land which has a long history of turmoil which lured it's immigrants with free/cheap land.  The immigration was inspired by many factors.  Famine, plague, war and persecution to name only a few.  A book which emphasizes this very well is "Ostpreusen im Fegefeuer" (East Prussia in Purgatory) by E.Vondran.  A short synopsis of the history of this area may be found at http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/OPRU/oprus.html  I am developing a particular interest in the military history of this area as a result of my research.  This area has been the site of some of the bloodiest battles in history.

The area south-southwest of "East Prussia"  known as Massuria DID have immigrants from Holland.  (see) http://www.polishroots.org/genpoland/polhistory.htm  Note:  "During the Second Half of the 18th. Century"--bottom.  This was a product of the the partitioning of Poland in one of the treaties (I believe it was the "Brandenberg Treaty")  It is also interesting to not that people from SCOTLAND also immigrated to this region!

Another source of particular interest that I have found is German Colonies in Volhynia   http://www.genealogyunlimited.com/daveobee/volhynia.html

I have a much greater understanding, respect and admiration of the fortitude my ancestors had in light of this research.

I hope this helps.  Best regards to the list,

Lorne Bohn,
Canada,