[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Looking for places in Congress Poland

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 16 08:01:00 PDT 2003

The word Karte in German is a problem because it can be translated in two
ways to English - card or map.  I believe you are looking for maps of
Congress Poland.

There are a number of different sources that may be of help to you.  The
biggest problem is that sometimes it requires more than one map to show all
the different places.

One on line source is http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
.  It is very helpful for finding places where you don't have an exact
spelling match.  The problem is that it will often give you so many options
that it is difficult to know which is correct.

You mention adjacent areas so for Prussian regions I recommend
http://www.kartenmeister.com/ or for East Prussia
  http://www.webarchiv-server.de/pin/landkarte/kartenseiten.htm

The Hoefer map is excellent but of course it only covers a small portion of
Congress Poland.  For other maps that you can purchase, if you know the
specific location, contact Dave Obee at http://www.genealogyunlimited.com

A full list of other map resources on line can be found at
http://sggee.org/Maps

Finally, I do have a map for sale that shows over 3300 German villages in
Congress Poland.  It comes complete with an index.  Email me privately for
details.

At 04:01 PM 16/06/2003 +0200, Antje Mass wrote:
>I have the problem lately that I still find places neither on the card of
>Hvfer publishing house nor on the Internet.
>Due to their importance looking for my ancestors, however, I hereby ask
>whether perhaps somebody can help me along. Are there cards of Congress
>Poland or the adjacent areas of approx. 1850 with detail of also smaller
>places and municipalities or where I can make orders of such maps or an
>Internet link?
>
>Thanks,
>Antje Mass

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta