[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] re: Grace and bedtime prayers

Perry1121 at aol.com Perry1121 at aol.com
Sun Nov 30 12:26:12 PST 2003

Lloyd (and others),

I have often wondered if the prayers my family used before meals and bedtime
were a larger part of our heritage. One of our bedtime prayers was similar:
Ich bin klein, mein Hertz ist rein. Niemand soll drin wohnen, als Jesus allein.
Amen.

The other bedtime prayer was: Muede geh' zu ruh; schliesse meine Euglein zu.
Vater, lass die Augen dein, ueber meinen Bette sein.  Amen.

We followed either of these with the Vater Unser/Lord's Prayer in German.

At meals: Komm, Herr Jesu, Sei unser Gast/ Und segne was du uns bescheret
hast. Amen. We also translated this into an English prayer for American speakers:
Come, Lord Jesus, be our Guest, and let these gifts to us be blest.

My German Lutheran family was from Russian Poland near Lublin, with some
relatives living on the other side of the Bug River in Volhynia. I was born in
Germany after WWII and we immigrated to the U.S. in 1952. Delving into my
heritage and discovering my virtual family is giving me great pleasure.

Sigrid Pohl Perry