[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] St Petersburg Archives forbirths1904-05

PnSWork at aol.com PnSWork at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 09:50:57 PDT 2004

Hi Mike,

and John Marsch wrote:

>   AGoFF is the German acronym for Arbeitsgemeinschaft
> ostdeutscher Familienforscher which is translates literally
> as "Working Committee of East German Family Researchers".

A working translation would read something like: Working Group
of german family researchers for eastern [Europe].  Not to be
confused with the former East Germany.  In fact, SGGEE's name
itself would be a reasonable translation!  AGOFF covers all
the eastern german settlements from Poland to Russia,
including Bessarabia and other locations.  All messages to
the AGOFF-L list are in German.

>   As a point of interest, SGGEE is presently developing
> closer ties and a working relationship with AGoFF.

I would like to thank the leadership of SGGEE for this effort
to develop closer ties to AGOFF.  It is through this effort
that I was able to gain membership to that list, and it was
instrumental in helping me find another connection back to
Germany from Poland.  The AGOFF members have been very
supportive of my requests for assistance.  I would encourage
and support any efforts to improve the relationship between
AGOFF and SGGEE even further.  Take care,

    -Paul

Paul Work