[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Friedrichsdorf (Solomka), Volhynia

Peter Schmaltz pschmaltz at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 3 18:05:48 PDT 2004

A distant cousin of mine recently shared some genealogy research he gathered
thru AHSGR which describes my great grandfather as being from "Friedrichsdorf
(Solomka)." I've since examined my great grandfather's birth record on the St.
Petersburg archives (both via online listings as well as looking at the
microfilm myself).

This has opened a few new questions for me I was hoping someone might be able
to easily answer:
(1) Where is Friedrichsdorf? What is its current/modern name? I suspect it is
in the Zitomir area as my 2nd great grandparents were married in that parish
according to the Odessa3 listings for Volhynia. I've looked on the FEEFHS map
room web site as well as maps at www.wolhynien.de/geograph.htm among other
places and not been able to locate it.
(2) Is Solomka the modern name for the town or is it the district where
Friedrichsdorf is located?
(3) How is it possible to figure out that my great grandfather was born in
Friedrichsdorf specifically? That infomation doesn't seem to be in the St.
Pete's microfilm I looked at, but perhaps I missed it.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Schmaltz (great grandson of Albert Schmalz, b. 1871)