[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Place Names near Radom, Poland

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 11 07:22:02 PDT 2004

At 06:53 AM 11/08/2004, gk_eisenach at web.de wrote:
>Hello too,
>
> > Can somebody take a look at them (they are in
> > Cyrillic/Russian)? Here is the whole document:
> > ... I read it as Grabina.
>
>Thats right. The village Grabina located 13 km in the
>South of Radom. The map H36 ("Karten des westlichen
>Russland", 1915) show this village with 12 houses.
>
>A village with this name in the North of Radom I cant
>read on this map.

I agree with Gerhard.  There doesn't appear to be a Grabina to the north of
Radom.  If you can give us coordinates or nearby villages, perhaps we can
find your reference and comment further.

> > ludwigbirth.jpg
> > justinares.jpg
>
>This two names can be the same village, but I cant read
>the complete name: "Pludaisz_" or "Pludansz_".

Again I agree with Gerhard that these appear to be the same.  However, it
seems significant that the first is missing the Cyrillic character "y" (=
u) which is in the second.  The only possible fit in the region seems to be
Pludnica, about 20 km S of Radom but the ending is not quite right.

> > juliannabirth.jpg
>
>It is "Wola". Near Radom you can read very often this
>village name, on the map from 1915 in big letters
>"Wola" and  for example in a second line with little letters
>"(-Gorynska)" [compare map H35] ... in the North of Radom
>"Wsola" or in the West "Wolanow".

And once again I agree with Gerhard.  There are several places in the
region where Wola acts as a prefix adjective to a place name.  While it can
stand alone, I do not see that in this region.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca