[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Roll call - Mueller, Manzei,Manthey,Mantei, Rook

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 23 07:41:27 PST 2004

Is there any reason to believe that they did not spend a generation (maybe
even less) in Volhynia?  If they were originally from Lipno and were only
in Volhynia for say, 10-15 years, they would still have the family
connections that would bring them to Connecticut.

The ROOK surname has stymied me.  It appears nowhere in any of the SGGEE
databases for Russian Poland or Volhynia.  So I decided to browse through
the R listings in the St. Pete records to see if I could find something
with a similar pronunciation.  I found:

Wilhelm Otto Rukke, born to Jacob Rukke and Christine MANTEI in 1881.

Now their location of Hohenberg is not near Jalowice but I would bet you
dollars to donuts that Rook = Rukke and that this family also probably has
roots in the Lipno region.

None of this proves anything but does give credence to the possibility that
your family was in Volhynia.