[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] catholic ??

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 28 17:32:28 PST 2004

Since there were very few if any German Catholics in Volhynia, I don't
think that is the reason for the lack of records.  First I would question
whether the reference to Zhitomir really applies to the city.  I know of
many instances where a person claims to be born in a large town because it
is easier to relate to it - when in fact they are born in some village in
the general vicinity.  (I assume you are going on the basis of family lore
or perhaps an entry in a family Bible.

I can think of 2 reasons that might account for the missing record.

1.  We know of instances where the Kantor in a village forgot to enter or
did not turn over a record book to the pastor for transcribing into the
Bishop's St. Pete records.  It is possible your grandfather is recorded in
such a book but not in the St. Pete records.

2.  IF your grandfather was born in the vicinity of Romansdorf, he and your
grandmother might (probably were) recorded in the church books for Kiev
Parish.  This was part of the St. Pete microfilms but has NOT yet been
extracted.  You can go to http://sggee.org/VolhynianLutheranArchives , find
the film that applies to Kiev for 1876, order it in to your nearest LDS
Family History Centre and browse through it to see if you can find them there.

At 04:36 PM 28/03/2004 -0800, James Geike wrote:
>My paternal name GEIKE is so simple that even mispronunciatrions of it are
>easily discernable. so can anyone shed some light on why my supposed Luthern
>Grandfather August Geike, born in Zhitomir in1876 shoow up  in any of the St.
>Pete films.
>I have searched for my Geike grandfather and his parents records  using St.
>Pete films. My grandmother was born in Rommansdorf, Grandpa in Zhitomir. Could
>my lake of success be because they were Catholic ? Were there  ever Catholics
>families mixed in with those   living in the above mentioned settlements so
>this is why I can not find them listed in the St. Pete records .

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca