[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Clothmaker Villages in Poland (Ozorkow)

William Remus remus at hawaii.edu
Wed Nov 24 17:46:30 PST 2004

Here is some detail on German Clothmaker Villages in Poland (and
Volhynia) as discussed yesterday on our list....

After Napoleon was defeated around 1814, Poland still remained
partition among Prussia (Germany), Austria, and Russia. At that time
cloth making was done well by Germans who lived in villages (it was
truly a cottage industry). They produced and processed the flax for
linen and then made yarn. The yarn was either sold or further worked
into cloth to sell. Areas like Kolmar north of Poznan were famous for
their lace.

Germans in Prussia sold a lot of cloth to Russia but about this time
Russia used tariffs to keep this cloth out of Russia and Russian
Poland (also known as Congress Poland). This led to opportunities for
the German cloth makers to migrate to Congress Poland and start
producing cloth there (since this was inside Russian Poland there were
no tariff barriers). (and there was lots of sandy soil there good for
growing flax).

So many Germans migrated including the Deutschlander family that is
part of my family tree (as well as that of George Maser). This family
went to a village designed for cloth production, Ozorkow north of
Lodz. You can see pictures of this modern village and a map of the
1820 village layout at:

http://www.cba.hawaii.edu/remus/genes/volhynia/ozorkow/

Interestingly, if your family moved to Volhynia around 1833 they also
may have moved for the same reason. The industrialists in Lodz in
Russian Poland were beginning to automate the cloth making process so
the cottage industry there was collapsing. But in Volhynia, the Polish
nobility wanted to establish a cloth making industry so invited
Germans to move to Volhynia. So my Spitzers, Lehmanns, Hoffmanns,
Reisers, Hahns, and others migrated at that time to make cloth. For
more on clothing in Volhynia (with some details on how it was done) go

http://www.cba.hawaii.edu/remus/genes/volhynia/earlyvol.htm

Regards Bill Remus