[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] FROM THE ABBOTSFORD GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

ResearchWBCP at aol.com ResearchWBCP at aol.com
Wed Nov 24 18:15:19 PST 2004

THIS WAS PAST ON TO ME FROM THE ABBOTSFORD  GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY. PLEASE BE
CAREFUL
Subject:   Telephone ScamPASS  ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

I received a telephone call last evening from  an individual identifying
himself as an AT&T Service technician who was  conducting a test on telephone
lines. He stated that to complete the test I  should touch nine(9), zero(0),
the pound sign (#), and then hang  up.

Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the  telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#,
you give the  requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which
enables them  to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.

I was  further informed that this scam has been originating from many  local
jails/prisons. I have also verified this information with  UCB
Telecom,Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic and GTE. Please  beware.

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.

The GTE Security Department  requested that I share this information with
EVERYONE I KNOW.

PLEASE  pass this on to everyone YOU know.

If you have mailing lists and/or  newsletters from organisations you are
connected with, I encourage you to  pass on this information to them.

After checking with Verizon they said  it was true, so do not dial
(9),zero(0), the pound sign # and hang up for  anyone.

PLEASE HIT THAT FORWARD BUTTON AND PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU  KNOW