[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Herman family from Lutsk

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 22 12:57:54 PDT 2005

At 12:18 PM 22/04/2005, Posnsrch at aol.com wrote:
>Hello list,
>I just joined this list from a suggestion of another lister. Already, the
>archives look very interesting and this list seems right for my search.
>
>I already have much information on my grandmother's family who lived in
>Volhynia, Russia. After they arrived in Canada, one brother married a girl
>who said
>she was from Lutsk, POLAND. I am now searching for her family.
>
>1. Wasn't Lutsk also in Russia in the late 1800's?
>Poland was not a country again until near WWI, correct?

Yes, Lutsk / Luck was in Russia before WW I.  Volhynia was split in half
between the Wars.  Lutsk was in Poland during that time.

>2. Where can I find birth, marriage records of towns Lutsk and Volhynia?
>A few years ago I found some birth, marriage records at JewishGen but can not
>longer find the correct site at their web site.

Before we advise on available records, we should determine what kind of
records you are looking for.  If you found your family on a Jewish
genealogy site, does that mean they were Jewish?  If so, our
recommendations will not be of much help to you.  SGGEE and this mailing
list are mainly focused on Germans in Volhynia.  Most of the records we use
are church records, not civil records.

If not Jewish, then respond again including the names and approximate time
frame you are searching.  That will help us to give the most specific
advice possible.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca