[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynia Villages

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 16 17:35:23 PST 2005

At 05:18 PM 16/02/2005, Rose Ingram wrote:
>Today I had the opportunity to help a friend start her genealogy research.
>To my surprise she has two ancestral lines who state birth place in
>Volhynia.
>
>A typed 1917 Manitoba birth record of a child states the mother's birth
>place as Lugardin Wolienger, Russia.   Any guesses as to what Lugardin may
>be?  The mother is shown as Lieda Stebner.

I think Lugardia would be a good fit, located a short distance ESE of
Nowograd Wolhynsk, roughly 3 km south of the highway to Zhitomir.  One of
the Stebner families in the St. Pete list lived just 22 km east of there at
Beresowo Hat.

>The father is Edward Lips born in Bularka, Wolienger, Russian.  It is
>possible the name Lips may have been shorted from Lipstein and he may be of
>Jewish orgin.

Several possibilities here, unfortunately.  Most likely, because of
proximity, is Bolarka about 20 km N of Beresowo Hat.  There is another west
of Emilicin.  Also Boljarka, east of Heimtal.  St. Pete shows a Lips family
at Bolarka - birth of August Gottlieb to Ludwig and wife Eva
Stroebel.  You'd have to do the special search to help find which Bolarka
it is but I am just heading out the door so don't have time to do it.

The Jewish origin MIGHT be true in their particular case but a check of the
Germany phonebook reveals too many to list without narrowing the region so
it is a common Germanic surname.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca