[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Breakfasts of our Ancestors

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Sat Jan 29 12:22:12 PST 2005

I will add something that is my files on my husband's great uncle, Dr. Paul
Friedemann, about food in Volhynia.

"Meals in Volhynia were much the same as they would later be for the
Friedmann family when they came to Oklahoma.  Breakfast usually consisted of sliced
and salted hard-boiled eggs, bread and butter, and coffee.  Due to the high cost
of pure coffee, it was often stretched with chicory.  The coffee was always
boiled with
the grounds in it.  Sugar was a real luxury because it was not generally
available in Annette.  The Russian sweetener had been honey for more than a
thousand years.
After breakfast there were four more meals each day.  There would be lunch
and supper plus small repasts at ten o'clock in the morning and about two-thirty
in the afternoon.  These repasts consisted of tea and bread with honey or
sugar.  This time was generally a time of conviviality and conversation.  It was
considered good manners to drink hot tea from the saucer and everyone ate with
the left hand in the European manner."

I could say much more about the other meals from this family history but for
now will just use the details on breakfast etc. as requested in the e-mail
written above.

The Friedemann family were somewhat well off when living in Annette,
Volhynia.  Dr. Paul had received his medical education while in the Russian army.
When completing his service in 1889 he returned to Annette to open up a practice
there.  But by 1893 he decided to leave with his family and his parents to
immigrate to Oklahoma where an older brother already had settled.

I hope some of you have something to add to this query from Pilla of what was
a breakfast meal like, and I add whether in Volhynia and/or in Poland.

Virginia Less

Subj:   [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Breakfast meal