[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans speaking...

Barbara Cooper bdaelick at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:22:04 PST 2005

Hello!
 All this discussion regarding the languages various Germans spoke has been very interesting.  My Great Great Grandmother apparently spoke about four languages, I assume German, Russian, Polish and English, she was also a Lutheran.  She married my Great Great Grandfather a Catholic who spoke only Russian.  How they met I do not know , it certainly must have been quite a love story.  He was from Podolia, they were in Volhynia - how I wish I knew the story!  Anyway, what I find interesting is that in the 1911 Census all of my German speaking, imigrated from Volhynia relatives state that their ethnic origin is Polish (almost ten families in all).  This also applies to some other German speaking families in the area that were apparently from Volhynia.  Does anyone have a theory as to why this would be?
 I am researching the names Daelick(Deylik), Lemke, Geppert, Sesula, Klein, Strauch, Kuehn, Schulz,Rakko, Zell, Weisner in Russian Poland, Volhynia and Podolia.

Barbara Cooper
Martensville, Saskatchewan