[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] POLISH DIACRITIC " L" EQUIVALENT IN RUSSIAN

Otto otto at schienke.com
Wed Nov 23 11:58:25 PST 2005

I concur with Howard on perhaps the Cyrillic character "B" "b"=  V v
(veh) being the character used.
Listening to it pronounced in Russian sounds at times like "veh" and
at times like "weh", giving us the desired "W" sound.
Check it out:    http://masterrussian.com/blalphabet.shtml
-download the Realplayer pronunciation of the whole alphabet.
-Also listen to each single character being pronounced by klikking
the character.
Definitely a useful aid in deciding...

On Nov 23, 2005, at 1:10 PM, Howard Krushel wrote:

> Mike:
> I would guess that the Polish slashed" L" sound,could be
> equivalent, in
> written Cyrillic, to a "B". i.e. written Polish slashed L= English
> sound of
> W(through pursed lips)= written Cyrillic B; however I am not sure
> if  the
> Ukrainians would have transcribed it this way, i.e.  the "Polish
> slashed L"
> is converted into German and English , as just an "L", which gives
> it a
> totally different sound.
...  Otto

   " The Zen moment..." wk. of September 4, 2005-