[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] NELL -Spelling Changes

Otto otto at schienke.com
Fri Apr 21 09:31:51 PDT 2006

Morning Nell,
I have cousins in AussieLand.

In the civil records the shift was from 'ck' (end of the 1700's) to 'k'.
The spelling was changed, not shortened.  'ck' combination is still
popular in the English language.  e.g. I do not 'klik' on a
hyperlink, I 'click' on it. (sound is the same)  Language can be
likened to a living organism, new sounds born, old sounds dying.

On "Schemionek"
I find no German equivalent alternate of the name in SGGEE's list of
alternate surnames.
It does not mean one does not exist. Perhaps someone on the SGGEE
ListServ more fluent in the Polish language can give us insight to
its meaning.  The prefix 'Sch' is Germanic and does not exist in the
Polish language.  In Polish 'Sch' is written as "Sz'. The ending 'ek'
could well be a suffix and if so what language... Polish 'ek' is a
diminutive indicating little..  The name would be pronounced, as
written, "Shemion'ek".

I will now disappoint you by stating, "There are no original names.
There are no original spellings!"
There are no mistakes, just people attempting to sound out a name
using characters in their alphabet to represent just the right sound
imagined. (if their hearing was bad. . . or perhaps were nipping at
Reiner's schnapps...)
Only older spellings, newer, or translated spellings exist.
Standardized languages are a detriment to language study and
genealogical research.  Old sounds were information rich.

We use alphabet characters to represent sounds, hence the term
phonetic characters.   Even a proper linking of alphabet characters
peculiar to a language to represent the correct sounds does not
guarantee it will be properly 'sounded out'. As often stated on this
SGGEE site  "If it sounds like your surname, it probably is."  With
the passing of time, even the sound changes. For example, 800 C.E.,
vowel-shift in the English language. We form our palate and muscle
structure for speech at a very young age while on our parents laps
which has future  affect as to how we shape sounds. The German
language as an example; listening to a speaker sound their 'ich' and
'ach', also trilling or rolling the 'r', sounding out the umlauts,
quickly indicate when the speaker learned the language.

On the 'ski' and 'sky' query:
Both are Slavic suffixes added to a surname. Indicating "from the
estate of".  The 'ski' is more common to the Polish spelling of the
sound and 'sky' is more common to the Russian/Ukrainian spelling of
the sound.  Both sound out as 'skee'.

The suffix can be misleading because adding it to a surname  became
popular after Napoleon and the end of the Feudal Structure, commoners
now had a right to own their own property.  Now everyone could own
his acre of paradise and the 'ski' suffix on the surname indicated
it.  Earlier use of the suffix indicated estate owners or commoners
from the particular estate.

On Apr 20, 2006, at 8:35 PM, Schemioneck, Nell wrote:

>  Otto

>   One
> point - you mentioned
> "Not only the 'c'substitution for 'k', also the 'k' for the 'ck'".
>
> Does this mean that 'ck' was probably the original spelling but was
> shortened to 'k'?
>
> We spell our name Schemioneck and there are still some families with
> this spelling in Germany but the majority of those in Germany today
> are
> Schemionek.  I've been told (by someone with this spelling) that
> their's
> is original and ours is a mistake (considering the shipping manifest
> spelled it Skemouck it's a wonder it's anything like the original!)
>
> In Poland today the name is Siemionek or Szemionek.  Can anyone
> tell me
> how it would be pronounced in Poland?  We Aussies pronounce it Cher
> (like the singer/actress) muunick (like in Munich in Germany).
> Nell Schemioneck
. . .  Otto

                      " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 5, 2006
                         "Remove what isn't... What is remains."