[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Daniel Becker

Wilbert and Marilyn Roth wimaroth at peoplepc.com
Sun Aug 27 13:02:27 PDT 2006

On the Ellis Island site, registration is free, but you need to register in order to view additonal information.  Also, sometimes, instead of giving the full name,  you need to check for some other item such as BECKER arriving in 1909 because only exact spelling matches may appear.   Caroline is listed as Carolina.  The individual data says Carolina Becker,  aged 37,  married,  German of Germany,  last residence Ronojad, Germany, arrived 6 July 1909 on the Kronprinzessin Cecilie, port of departure Bremen. [ MapQuest doesn't have Ronohad, Konohad, Kossohad, or any alternative I could think of.  Hallwag shows Rosenjoch southeast of Innsbruck. ]

You need to view the manifest to find the family together.  I was unable to read the copy of the actual manifest, but you can click to view the text version.  That shows #18 - 26.  BECKER, Carolina, 37; Reinhard, 15; Daniel, 14; Alliertina {Albertina}; 11+; Gustav, 10+; Stephan, 9; Johann, 7+; Hermann, 6; & Angus {female, Augusta?}, 3.  [I used + for the one-half year listed on the children's ages.]

I don't have the actual census, but the database for 1930 has in Lane Co., OR, with approximate year of birth but not divided into households, BECKER:
Steven 1900, Lottie L. 1910, Helen L. 1929
Daniel 1892, Rosella 1898, Rachel  L. 1925, Arlo C. 1926, Sylvia C 1930
Gustav A. 1903, Mabel F. 1904, Harold D. 1925, Phyllis A. 1929.
In Larimer Co., CO:  BECKER, Reinhard, 1895; Emilie, 1898; David, 1917; Marie, 1920; & Raymond, 1925.

I cannot find any Nowin or a Novin without a suffix, but a major city of Nikolayev (over 300,000 population in my atlas)  is in the southern Ukraine. MapQuest shows several Nikolayevs.   There is a Noviny, Ukraine, which is not too far from Poland.

There are many William / Wilhelm BECKER entries for Ellis Island in the years preceding 1909.  One of interest is Wilhelm BECKER, 34, married, last residence Womyu, Russia,  Ethnicity Russia, German, arrived 26 Feb. 1908 on the Kaiser Wilhelm II, port of departure Bremen.  [He was married, but his family wasn't with him on the manifest.  I cannot find Womyu.]

Kimball, Kimball Co., is in the southwestern corner of the panhandle,  Nebraska.  USGenWeb indicates that a Frederick BECKER was in Kimball Co. for the 1910 Census, Freidrick BECKER patented there in 1911, Homestead, Twp. 14-56, Section 6 NW (east half), and there is probate for him Kimball Co.,  A-45.  That was the only BECKER Homestead, so Carolina & children must have been too late.  There was a John BECKER, 30, there in 1929.   There were also Kimball Co., NE, WW I draft registrations in 1918 for Gustave, b. 26 Mar. 1897, &  William BECKER, b. 18 Feb. 1874  [ Is that uncle / dad of the migration record? ]

Karl STUMPP's Emigration fr. Germany to Russia, 1763 - 1862:

BECKER, Georg Philipp aus Hennental / Bad Schapbach-He 1805, nach Freudental/Od.
[There are many other BECKER migrants, but this one was in the same colony as SCHENKENBERGER.]

Freudental evangelical colony, Revisionsliste 1816.
Household 19, BECKER, Nikolaus 53, seine Frau Magdalena 52, seine Kinder Peter 21, Katharina 16, Elisabeth 14, Eva 1812 verheiratet, Nikolaus 12.
H. 38, BECKER, Adam 53, seine Frau Katharina 46, seine Kinder Johann 20, Wilhelmina 14, Katharina 12, Jakob 8, Adam gestorben 1812.
Friedrich 24, dessen Frau Elisabeth Lesmeister 23, 1815 aus der Kolonie Kandel eingeheiratet.
H. 44, BECKER, Lukretia gestorben 1812, Philipp 44 aus Hennental/Bad Schwalbach-He, seind Frau Margaretha 40, seine Kinder Barbara 20, Elisabeth 17, Jakob 14, Heinrich 8, Leonhard gestorben 1816, Margaretha 6, Magdalena 4, sein Schwiegersohn Georg Leonhard 24, dessen Frau Magdalena 22, deren Kinder Elisabeth 3, Christina 1/4.
H. 76, BECKER, Ludwig 34, seine Frau Margaretha 28, seine Kinder Magdalena 8, Andreas 4, Philippina 1.
H. 77, BECKER, Leonhard 41, seine Frau Magdalena 43, seine Kinder Margaretha gestorben 1816, Katharina 12, Magdalena gestorben 1815, Philipp 3.
H. 91 BECKER, Andreas 26, 1807 angekommen.
H. 73.  SCHENKENBERGER, Philipp 62, seine Frau Susanna 48, seine Kinder erster Ehe Adam 20, Juliana 17, Stephan gestorben 1813, Karl gestorben 1813, Heinrich 7.    Peter 28 dessen Frau Jakobina 23, seine Kinder Katharina 2, Johann 1/4.    Ferner der Schwiegersohn Johann GRAUR 28, dessen Frau Elisabeth 25, deren Kinder Pater gestorben 1816, Friedrika 1/4.  Aus Zell?-Pf 1807.

The SCHENKENBERGER Homestead patents in Bon Homme Co., SD, were John 1881, Christina 1882, & Jacob 1888, all in Twp. 95-59, Section 1.

Can anyone help determine where the BECKER family actually lived in Europe?

Marilyn Roth