[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Daniel Becker

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 28 20:58:51 PDT 2006

Snipping most of the good posting and inserting a couple of comments
in between the remainder.

At 02:02 PM 27/08/2006, Wilbert and Marilyn Roth wrote:
>On the Ellis Island site, registration is free, but you need to
>register in order to view additonal information.  Also, sometimes,
>instead of giving the full name,  you need to check for some other
>item such as BECKER arriving in 1909 because only exact spelling
>matches may appear.

Just in case anyone missed it in my previous posting, the Ellis
Island search at http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html
allows you to do sounds-like searches.  A search using the Ellis
Island search engine will only return exact spellings.

>I cannot find any Nowin or a Novin without a suffix, but a major
>city of Nikolayev (over 300,000 population in my atlas)  is in the
>southern Ukraine. MapQuest shows several Nikolayevs.   There is a
>Noviny, Ukraine, which is not too far from Poland.

Most atlases are not (nor even MapQuest or GOOGLE Maps) adequate for
village searches.   ShtetlSeeker
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html in combination
with MapQuest is an excellent source as are the maps on the SGGEE
website.  Once again ShtetlSeeker allows for sounds-like searches
whereas a direct search on something like MapQuest requires an exact
spelling match, a difficult thing to achieve considering the
variations possible with Slavic place names.

>Karl STUMPP's Emigration fr. Germany to Russia, 1763 - 1862:

Stumpp's book does not cover the Germans in Volhynia.  I think we are
95% convinced that the Becker family is from there though we still
need to package a complete picture with more records before we can
say with absolute certainty.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca