[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Fw: Daniel Becker

Howard Krushel krushelh at telus.net
Mon Aug 28 12:04:35 PDT 2006

 Just  a couple of observations from a cursory check of the passengers list.

 Carolina Becker's birth place was given as Druschbin/Druschlin Russia; all
 her children except the 2 youngest are born in Nowin, Russia and the 2
 youngest in Konojad, Germany.

There are 2 Konojad's, one in the kreis (county)Strassborg, West Prussia(now
 Brodnica,Poland) and the other near the city of Posen in the province of
 Posen (now Poznan, Poland).

 Wilhelm Becker arriving in Feb.26, 1908, gives his last known residence as
 Nowya, Wolhynien, Russia and his birth place as Pultow?, Russia (possibly
 the South Russian province of Poltawa?)

 Howard Krushel

> > Caroline is listed as Carolina.  The individual data says >Carolina
> Becker,  aged 37,  married,  German of Germany,  >last residence Ronojad,
> Germany, arrived 6 July 1909 on the >Kronprinzessin Cecilie, port of
> departure Bremen. [ MapQuest >doesn't have Ronohad, Konohad, Kossohad, or
> any alternative >I could think of.  Hallwag shows Rosenjoch southeast of
> >Innsbruck. ]
> >
> > You need to view the manifest to find the family together.  I was unable
> to read the copy of the actual manifest, but you can click to view the
text
> version.  That shows #18 - 26.  BECKER, Carolina, 37; Reinhard, 15;
Daniel,
> 14; Alliertina {Albertina}; 11+; Gustav, 10+; Stephan, 9; Johann, 7+;
> Hermann, 6; & Angus {female, Augusta?}, 3.  [I used + for the one-half
year
> listed on the children's ages.]
>
> > I cannot find any Nowin or a Novin without a suffix, but a major city of
> Nikolayev (over 300,000 population in my atlas)  is in the southern
Ukraine.